Academic advising is critical to your academic success. Your academic advisor assists you with course selection and degree planning, understanding your major's curriculum and referrals to campus resources.
Academic advising is an essential element of a student’s collegiate experience. Advising evolves from the institution’s culture, values, and practices and is delivered in accordance with these factors. Advising practice draws from various theories and strategies in the social sciences, humanities, and education.Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education, 2012
The University of West Florida and the Hal Marcus College of Science and Engineering recognizes academic advising to be a critical component of the educational experience of its students. The mission of our academic advising program is to cultivate individual, collaborative relationships which empower students to become self-directed learners and decision makers, guide students in the evaluation of their strengths and weaknesses, and facilitate the development of meaningful plans of study leading to efficient and successful completion of academic programs.
The advising program's vision is to empower students to utilize the full range of advising resources and opportunities at UWF to enrich personal and intellectual growth, maximize the academic experience, and enhance future success - all supported by a positive climate of respect and cooperation between student and advisor.
UWF academic advising programs are dedicated to:
- Upholding advising as a profession through respect for self and colleagues, continuous professional development, and academic integrity.
- Working in collaboration with academic units to which the advisors are directly responsible for ensuring that students make continued and timely progress toward degree completion.
- Utilizing a holistic approach to advising, access additional resources to provide necessary support to students as needed.
- Building an inclusive environment of mutual trust, respect, and understanding for all students.
- Inspiring and empowering students to be lifelong learners by providing assistance in establishing their academic, personal, and professional goals.
- Providing quality student service that is accurate, prompt, and supports student persistence toward academic goals at the same time informing them of academic policies, requirements, and resources.
The Hal Marcus College of Science and Engineering's goal is to provide our students with a quality academic advising experience which promotes academic progress, retention, and degree completion in a timely manner.