HLES - Physical Education
The Physical Education Specialization prepares students to seek employment in the coaching, sport, and fitness industry outside of the K-12 school setting.
This program may meet the requirements for Florida temporary certification. Additional requirements would subsequently be necessary to obtain a professional certificate. Students are advised that this program may not be accepted for certification in other states because it is not a state approved program. Career opportunities for this specialization include: coach, administrator/director of activity centers such as YMCAs, sport camps, etc.
Three Highlights About the PE and PETE Specialization
- We recently achieved FLDOE accreditation for the new Physical Education Teacher Education program. Students can obtain teaching certification in FL upon graduation and qualifies graduates to immediately teach in other states. We now have two tracks for students who have different needs; the PE program and PETE program.
- The Movement Academy offers pre-service teachers or PETE/PE students practical experiences teaching and observing K-12 physical education on the University of West Florida campus. The administrative team works with prospective teachers and set up positive experiences where students learn important lessons in teaching not found in most traditional practical experiences (i.e., lesson plan effectiveness, classroom management, and task presentation).
- Agreements with several school districts set up quality practical experiences in the schools surrounding UWF. Strong ties to the schools have helped our students see quality physical education in the schools, meet quality physical education teachers, make important contacts in the schools, and set up placements for student teaching.
For more specific requirements about this specialization, please visit the UWF Catalog. You may also explore the HLES Academic Learning Compact and Curriculum Map:
- Physical Education Academic Learning Compact: Exercise-Science-Physical-Ed-Athletic-Training-Sport-Management-ALC (PDF)
- Physical Education Curriculum Map: Health-Leisure-Exercise-Science-(CMUG) (PDF)
Dr. Daniel Drost
Advisor, Assistant Professor
Phone: (850) 474-2592
Office: Building 72, Room 257