GIS Training Academy
Training Academy course work is designed for those new to GIS who want to learn basics and current users interested in latest updates in ArcGIS software. These courses offer a low stress introduction to GIS and online learning at UWF. Upon completion of courses, students earn Continuing Education Units, which can be used towards the GISP. Enroll today!
Online GIS Training
Introduction and What's New in ArcGIS 10.2 Training Course
This 6-week online training course begins by explaining the basics of GIS and related software packages before moving to ArcGIS 10.2 software-specific training. Upon completion of this course, students earn 9.6 Continuing Education Credits (CEU's) and 2.4 EDU-2 Total Course Points towards your GISP (see GISCI.org). There are 96 total hours of instruction/course materials covered in a 6 week time frame.
- Creating a professional map - (symbology, labels and layouts)
- Data preparation - (online data search, dealing with tricky file types or conversions, imagery, etc.)
- Geodatabase Management
- Basic Analysis Techniques - (Model Builder, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, to name a few)
- Special Topics - (Geocoding, GPS to GIS, Routes, basic Web Mapping tools, and more)
To view and/or register for course offerings, please visit the Continuing Education's site for GIS Academy. Be sure to select "Introduction and What's New in ArcGIS 10.2 Desktop Online Training Course"
In order to participate in this course, students must meet ESRI software computational requirements, have an internet connection, email, and be fairly knowledgeable about computers and the internet. Those interested should be fairly knowledgeable about computers and the Internet, and you’ll need an Internet connection with e-mail to take this program. Individuals will be using their own computers with trial version software being downloaded from the manufacturer’s website (ESRI).
Required text - The GIS 20: Essential Skills, 2nd Edition , ESRI Press 2010 ISBN: 9781589482562
Tuition - $499.00
A computer or laptop capable of running ArcGIS 10.2 trial version software, Internet access, e-mail, the Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox Web browser, and the Adobe Flash and PDF plug-ins (two free and simple downloads you obtain at http://www.adobe.com/downloads by clicking Get Adobe Flash Player and Get Adobe Reader).
Students should have the following PC capabilities:
- P500+ Processor, 128MB of RAM
- Minimum screen resolution 800x600
- Internet Explorer 6 or higher; Firefox 3.0 or higher; Chrome 3.0 or higher; Safari 4.0 or higher.
- Windows Media Player 9.0 or higher
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0 or higher
- 56K minimum connection; broadband (256 kpbs or higher) connection recommended
- Soundcard with speakers or headphones strongly recommended
Onsite GIS Training at UWF
Face-to-Face GIS Training (Pensacola campus)
Introduction and What’s New in ArcGIS is offered at UWF as a two or three day course. These courses are typically offered by request. Advanced and specialized GIS courses are also available. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a course offering.
UWF offers GIS training for a students and faculty at no cost for group of 5 of more. Courses can be tailored to meet the specific needs of the group. Please contact Nathan McKinney for more information at email@example.com.