Application Process and New Student Guide
GIS Online staff take an active role in your education and in building experiences to best prepare you for life as a professional. Through high impact learning, experiential and innovating methods, GIS Online stands apart. When you’re ready to apply, please follow this step-by-step guide.
Apply to the Program
- Review the Certificate Program page to assess eligibility.
- Confirm that you possess the basic computer skills as outlined in the Computer Skills Assessment.
- Complete a Letter of Intent Form to be submitted with the program application
- Complete the GIS Certificate Program application
- Graduate Certificate applicants, email a copy of your transcripts (proof of Baccalaureate degree) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon submission, applicants will receive an email confirmation. Applications will be reviewed during the first week of each month (July - November). Applicants will be emailed with the committee's decision along with instructions on how to proceed. Use the Application And New Student Checklist and Prepare Guide to track your progress and to prepare for course work with GIS Online at UWF.
The application deadline for the 2015 cohort has passed.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2016 cohort.
Your application, including any transcripts (if applying for Graduate certificate or requesting course waiver) must be received by the application deadline to be considered for enrollment in the cohort. We accept and review applications beginning in June and ending early November. Courses begin in January of the following year.
Apply to UWF
Upon program acceptance, complete the appropriate non-degree seeking application for UWF.
Complete the Undergraduate Non-Degree Seeking Application using the following options in the Application Wizard:
- Application Type - Defaults to Undergraduate Non-Degree Seeking
- Campus Location - Main Campus
- Program of Interest - Environmental Science
Complete the Graduate Non-Degree Seeking Application the following options in the Application Wizard:
- Application Type - Graduate Non-Degree Seeking
- Student Level Type - Master's (Non-Degree Seeking)
- Program of Interest - Environmental Science
Please note that evidence of your bachelor's degree will be required before enrolling in graduate-level courses. Email an unofficial copy of your transcript to email@example.com
If you need assistance completing the application forms please contact the UWF Admissions Office
To check the status of your application, please visit My.UWF.edu
Activate Your Account
MyUWF is the University's secure, single entry point for access to web-based services and applications designed for applicants, students, former students / alumni, faculty, and staff.
- Access My.UWF.edu. Login as a New User to access your account.
- Once logged into your account, search for "holds." All new students typically have at least one hold placed on their account preventing enrollment.
- Be on the look out for important emails from UWF and GIS Online regarding next steps and how to enroll in courses. Our staff will supply a personalized course plan for all students based on choices made on the program application.
- New students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with one of our advisors.
Get Enrolled in Courses
The Online GIS Certificate Program operates according to the A term Academic Calendar.
- All Online GIS students enroll themselves in classes using their My.UWF.edu account.
- GIS online staff will provide students a course plan including details needed to complete registration.
- Make sure you are enrolled in the proper course(s). It is your responsibility as a student to check your course schedule and ensure you are properly enrolled. For questions regarding your course plan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 850-857-6121.
- Pay Tuition
- Students pay tuition per semester (amount based on credit hours enrolled). See the Academic Calendar for specific dates.
- Make payments through the UWF Cashier's Office via check, money order or credit card. Tuition payments can also be made online at my.uwf.edu once your account has been activated.
Have questions? FAQ page for financial services regarding payment. GIS staff cannot accept payment or offer financial advice.
Go to Class
- Review the Prepare Guide. This guide, created by instructors, will help you prepare for our GIS courses
- Begin checking your UWF gmail account for important notes from your instructors. Instructors do not have your personal email account information. FAQ's for Google at UWF
- Purchase required texts. Find required text books from one of the following sources:
- Access eLearning and your course from My.UWF.edu
- View the eLearning demo and eLearning Guide for Students
- Most courses will not open until the first day of class (typically A term) unless informed otherwise
- The first week of class is devoted to a Course Orientation. It's provided to help students ease in to the online course experience, specific to our program. Students test their connection to our servers and complete assignments designed to mimic what to expect on a weekly basis. Attendance is required.