ESCH - Physical Education Teacher Education
Students interested in becoming a certified Physical Education teacher in grades K-12 will be able to do so by enrolling in the Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) Specialization.
Physical Education Teacher Education
This specialization prepares students to teach in public and private schools. Requirements for teacher education programs may change due to legislative mandates therefore, students should inquire with the Department of Exercise Science and Community Health to be made aware of any changes in requirements. Career opportunities for this specialization include: K-12 teacher, coach, or school administrator.
Highlights About the PETE Specializations:
- The UWF Physical Education Teacher Education specialization is accredited by the FLDOE and CAEP. Students can obtain teaching certification in Florida upon graduation which also qualifies graduates to immediately teach in other states that require teaching certification.
- Physical Education Teacher Education coursework is designed to provide students with experiential learning. Many classes feature practical activities in which student develop plans, present content, explore coursework through collaborations, and learn skills inherent to physical education content.
- We currently have agreements and close relationships with many school districts across Florida. This will enable our students to set up quality practical experiences in the schools surrounding UWF and beyond. Strong ties to the schools have helped our students observe quality physical education in the schools, connect with quality physical education teachers, make important contacts in the schools, and set up placements for student teaching. These potential relationships have enabled many our student to find teaching jobs immediately following graduation.
- We provide many opportunities to visit conferences. Our students travel to multiple conferences each year. Many of our students present at these conferences. Our students have also been able to participate as leaders in the state organization SHAPE Florida. These conferences also give our student opportunities to network with other teachers and district administration – often leading to job opportunities.
- The UWF Movement Academy offers Physical Education Teacher Education students practical experiences teaching and observing K-12 physical education on the UWF campus. The Movement Academy administrative team works with student teachers and sets up positive experiences where students learn important lessons in teaching not found in most traditional practical experiences (i.e., lesson plan effectiveness, classroom management, and task presentation).
Dr. Daniel Drost
Advisor, Assistant Professor
Phone: (850) 474-2592
Office: Building 72, Room 257Email: firstname.lastname@example.org