The Exercise Science specialization is designed for students interested in a career in the fitness industry or as preparation for graduate studies (including physical therapy, occupational therapy, medical school, etc.) and is endorsed by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
The need for professionals in the exercise science field is growing since it is becoming more and more apparent that "exercise is medicine".
Our program offers extensive hands-on training in physiology, anatomy and physiology, the biomechanics of movement, and clinical exercise testing and prescription using our state of the art laboratories. Our curriculum will help you begin to understand the ways in which exercise is not only tied to athletic performance but also physical and psychological health.
Through several classes and the senior-year internship you’ll be able to work with several populations, from top-level athletes to the elderly and patients at various cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation facilities, and influence their lives for the better.
Students completing the degree requirements in this field of study are prepared to sit for numerous professional certifications offered by professional organizations (American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Council on Exercise, etc.). For more specific information, visit the UWF Catalog.
- ES Undergraduate Internship/Capstone Manual (PDF)
- ES Internship Evaluation Form (PDF)
- ES Internship Guidelines for Completion of Final Report (PDF)
Please note: You cannot register yourself in an internship, capstone or field study. After your paperwork has been turned in and approved, the ESCH office staff will send you an email regarding internship, capstone or field study to inform you to register.
Other Related Links:
- Academic Learning Compact: Exercise-Science-Physical-Ed-Athletic-Training-Sport-Management-ALC (PDF)
- Curriculum Map: Health-Leisure-Exercise-Science-(CMUG) (PDF)
- Transient Student Information
- Premier Health & Fitness Resources
- ES Directed Study - Field Study Form (PDF)
- Aerobics/Group Exercise Instructor
- Exercise Physiologist
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Personal Fitness Instructor
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Aging Studies
Dr. Ludmila Cosio-Lima
Office: Building 72 Room 220