Mission, Vision, Values
The College of Business prepares students for successful careers in business and society and contributes to the advancement of the educational and economic development of Northwest Florida.
The mission of the College of Business is to provide a high quality, student-oriented, educational experience to baccalaureate and master’s degree business students primarily from the Northwest Florida region.
With a focused priority on teaching excellence, supported by scholarship and service, the College of Business prepares students for success in business and society and contributes to the advancement of the educational and economic development of the Northwest Florida region.
The College of Business at the University of West Florida aspires to be the institution of choice for students seeking quality baccalaureate and master’s degree level business education and a key contributor to the educational and economic development of the region.
Core Values/Guiding Principles
Successful students of business and management education acquire the knowledge and skills that enhance and enrich their lives and enable them to make meaningful contributions to their organizations. In turn, organizations that are successful in meeting their goals and fulfilling their purposes become enormous assets to societies, fostering greater productivity and a more desirable quality of life.
Complementing the University’s core values, the College believes its programs, activities, and services should exemplify the following characteristics:
- Excellent teaching that promotes student/faculty interactions, engages students in learning, and provides students with the knowledge and skills for successful careers.
- An academically prepared and professionally experienced faculty dedicated to teaching and the development of students.
- Relevant business curriculum focusing on critical thinking, communication, integrity/ethics, and project management, with a general business core and discipline-specific knowledge and skills.
- Scholarship that enriches teaching and enhances relevance and currency of faculty.
- Scholarship that advances business knowledge, practices, and instruction.
- Service to business, professional, and community organizations that complements the mission of the college and leverages the expertise of the faculty.
- Contribution to the economic development of the region through business-related education and research.
- Participation in department, college, and university shared governance.
Educational and Work Environment
- Learning and work environments for students, faculty, and staff that foster communication, critical thinking, ethical behavior, team building, respect for diversity, and global awareness.
Consistent with its vision and mission, the College of Business pursues the following goals:
- Goal 1: Student-oriented Learning Environment
Promote a student-oriented learning environment with a focus on student and faculty interaction and engagement of students in the learning process.
- Goal 2: Quality of Students/Enrollment
Increase the quality and number of students from the region enrolled in the College’s bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
- Goal 3: Student Learning
Enhance student learning through assessment of student learning outcomes and a continuous process of curricular and instructional review.
- Goal 4: Faculty Qualifications
Ensure that faculty maintain appropriate academic and professional qualifications in order to fulfill effectively their teaching, research, and service responsibilities.
- Goal 5: Intellectual Contributions
Enhance the College’s intellectual contributions portfolio including discipline-based, practice-based, and learning-pedagogical scholarship and research.
- Goal 6: Service
Encourage faculty participation and leadership in internal and external service activities that enhance the missions of the College and University.
- Goal 7: Economic Development
Increase College of Business contributions to the educational and economic development of the northwest Florida region.