Bachelor of Social Work, B.S.W.
The Department of Social Work at UWF offers a BSW degree program that will prepare you for beginning generalist social work. Upon completion, you will become a practitioner who demonstrates and practices the critical thinking skills, values, ethics, and knowledge delineated by the CSWE guidelines and the NASW Code of Ethics.
The B.S.W. program, accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, prepares students to enter beginning professional social work practice. The mission of the B.S.W. program is to prepare graduates for effective multi-level assessment, engagement, intervention, and evaluation of multiple systems in many fields of practice. Guided by a diverse faculty, the Department of Social Work is committed to promoting human rights, social and economic justice, and respect for diversity to improve the quality of life of those we serve.
- Adoption Agencies
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse Prevention
- Child Welfare
- Child Protective Services
- Courts and Detention Programs
- Day Care Centers
- Domestic Violence/Crisis Intervention
- Family Services
- Foster Care Programs
- Mental Health Centers
- Teen Counseling and Justice Centers
The B.S.W. Curriculum includes a capstone Field Instruction experience which places a qualified candidate into a social service agency for a supervised learning experience. Because this is a professional preparation program, students are required to submit an application to participate in both field experiences. The social work major who has met the following minimum qualifications is eligible to apply for entry into field instruction. The Department of Social Work partners with a broad range of social service agencies in the Southern Alabama and Florida Panhandle Regions.
UWF Department of Social Work partners with over 100 agencies across the Gulf Coast, including:
- Alabama Department of Human Resources
- Baptist Healthcare
- Covenant Hospice
- Fort Walton Beach Medical Center
- Gulf Coast Veterans Healthcare System
- Lakeview Center
- Nemours Children’s Health System
- Penelope House
- The Refuge for Women
- Sacred Heart Health System
- United Methodist Children’s Home
- Volunteers of America
- West Florida Hospital
- Download the Social Work Social Work Academic Learning Compact (PDF)
- Download the Social Work Social Work Course Guide (PDF)
- Download the Social Work Social Work BSW Program Sheet (PDF)
- Download the Social Work BSW Student Handbook (PDF)
Contact an Advisor Today!
Not sure where to start? Want to discuss classes, course load, or details of the program? Make an appointment with an advisor today!Contact an Advisor
Tour Our Campus!
Request a guided visit of our beautiful campus and see what makes UWF the perfect place to earn your degree. Plan your visit today!Visit UWF
Find out more about applying, receive helpful resources, and contact your Admissions Counselor through the UWF Office of Undergraduate Admissions.Apply Now