BSW Field Instruction
The BSW Curriculum includes a capstone Field Instruction experience which places a qualified candidate into a social service agency for a supervised learning experience. The social work major who has met the following minimum qualifications is eligible to apply for entry into field instruction.
In addition to the following minimum qualifications, students must have demonstrated values, knowledge, skills and attitudes consistent with the Social Work Code of Ethics and be approved by the faculty for entry.
Students must meet all prerequisites prior to entry into Field Instruction and to be eligible for the BSW degree from The University of West Florida.
The student must have completed a minimum of 30 semester hours of social work required courses with a grade of "C" or better, have an overall GPA of 2.0 or better, and have a GPA of 2.5 in the major.
Students planning to enroll in field education must receive approval to do so through the Field Education Office the semester prior. Application deadlines are noted below.
The application must be completed and submitted using TK20. Once submitted, the application is reviewed and a determination as to eligibility to enter field is made. If approved, students will participate in field interviews with the Field Coordinator on assigned dates.
Following the interview, each student will be assigned to an agency and provided with the information necessary to schedule an interview. Upon interview, if the agency is agreeable to working with the student, the student will then complete and submit the Field Confirmation Form located in TK20. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that any pre-placement requirements of the agency are completed prior to the first day of the semester.
Important Dates for BSW Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 Field Placements
- BSW 400 Field Orientation Meeting Summer 2018 or Fall 2018 (Attendance to only ONE meeting is Mandatory if you are completing your BSW 400 either in the Summer or Fall)
- February 20, 2018 12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M. Building 86/Room 132
- February 21, 2018 12:00 P.M. -1:00 P.M. Building 86/Room 132
- Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 BSW 400 & BSW 120 Applications open: February 20th
- Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 BSW 400 & BSW 120 Applications close: March 6th at 11:55 P.M.
- BSW 400 & BSW 120 Field Confirmation forms for Summer 2018 due: April 30th at 11:55 P.M.
- BSW 400 and BSW 120 Field Confirmation forms for Fall 2018 due: TBA
- Pre-Placement Group Interviews for Summer (BSW 400 only) with Field Coordinator: March 19th to March 23rd
- Pre-Placement Group Interviews for Fall (BSW 400 only) with Field Coordinator: March 26th to March 30th
Field Instruction consists of two companion courses. SOW4510 Field Instruction, represents 9 semester hours of learning in which the student enters into actual Field practice, under supervision, for a minimum of 400 hours in a social agency setting. The student continues in the classroom by taking the corequisite class SOW4522 Senior Seminar, which provides the opportunity to learn to apply theory and conceptualize experiences in the Field.
The Social Work faculty recognizes a significant responsibility to the community, the social work profession, and the student in approving any individual for placement in a field instruction experience. The requirements outlined above are considered minimum qualifications. The faculty reserves the right to exercise discretionary judgment regarding the student's professional values, ethics, orientation to the profession, and appropriate level of skill for a beginning professional. Application for field placement is contingent upon faculty review and consensus related to the student's readiness to assume the responsibilities inherent in the field instruction experience. No student who has twice attempted and failed in a field instruction placement (in SOW 3503 and/or SOW 4510) will be considered for a third placement, unless it can be demonstrated that a significant maturation or remediation of the deficiency has occurred.