Dr. Jim Hurd
- Position: Sr. Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, Interim Program Co-Coordinator
- Department: Student Affairs
- Office Location: Building 10, Room 201
- Campus: (850) 474-2214
Dr. Jim Hurd has been engaged in student affairs work since his sophomore year at North Georgia College and State University when he discovered the joy of being a student union building manager and student leader in the campus activity board. After receiving his BA in English, Jim completed a master's degree in College Student Personnel Administration at Northwestern State University of Louisiana working as a graduate assistant primarily in the student union but with experience in the Dean of Students Office. After graduation Jim joined the student affairs staff at Texas A&M working first as a program adviser and later as program director in the Memorial Student Center. He joined the University of West Florida team in 1986 as director of the University Commons and Student Activities and has now been a full time student affairs professional for over 29 years.
Jim completed his EdD at UWF in 2000. While continuing to serve as Director of the University Commons Jim was tasked by then Vice President Linda Dye to lead the effort to establish a student affairs graduate preparation program at UWF. He worked with colleagues in the College of Professional Studies as well as the Division of Student Affairs to develop the initial curriculum and recruit the first class of graduate students enrolled in Fall 2003. Jim served as academic advisor until Spring 2009 and program coordinator until Summer 2011. Jim continues to serve as adjunct faculty in the program.
Jim was named Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs in 2003 and promoted to Associate Vice President in 2004. Jim served as Interim Vice President from July 2009 to August 2010 which provided him the opportunity to work directly with every department within the Division of Student Affairs. Currently serving as Senior Associate Vice President, Jim provides oversight to Intercollegiate Athletics, Housing and Residence Life, Recreation and Sports Services, the University Commons and Student Activities, Counseling and Health Services, and the Educational Research Center for Child Development. Jim represents the Division of Student Affairs on several university level committees including the Facilities Planning Advisory Committee and the Campus Master Plan Taskforce.
Degrees & Institutions:
- Ed.D., Educational Management, University of West Florida
- M.A., Student Personnel Services, Northwestern State University of Louisiana
- B.A., English, North Georgia College
- Assessment issues in Student Affairs
- Student Affairs role in institutional accreditation
- Student Employment as a student development tool
- Integrative work and collaboration
- Leadership and management
- Introduction to College Student Affairs
- Capstone Seminar in Student Affairs
- Internship in Higher Education
- American College Student: Theories and Trends
- Assessment Issues in Student Affairs
- Survey of Literature in College Student Personnel