Dr. Haris Alibašić
- Position: Assistant Professor
- Department: Legal Studies, Public Administration and Sports Management
- Office Location: Building 70, Room 110
- Campus: (850) 474-3344
Dr. Haris Alibašić is an Assistant Professor in the Legal Studies and Public Administration Department at the University of West Florida. Dr. Alibašić brings 21 years of expertise and experience in the public sector, including working for the United Nations Mission and the Office of High Representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina and directing energy, sustainability, and legislative affairs policies and programs for Grand Rapids, the second largest city in Michigan. In Grand Rapids, he promoted sustainable policies resulting in significantly reduced energy usage and cost and spurring significant renewable energy investments.
Dr. Alibašić has over 14 years of experience teaching graduate and undergraduate in public policy, public administration, economic development, and sustainability courses at Grand Valley State University, Central Michigan University, and Davenport University. As an assistant professor at UWF, he teaches doctoral, graduate, and undergraduate level online and in-class courses in public service ethics, the political economy of public administration, strategic management in administration, government contract law, public budgeting and finance and public administration in American society.
Dr. Alibašić is a partner in the Florida League of Cities Municipal Research Program. Through the Partners in Municipal Research program, the Center for Municipal Research & Innovation serves as a link between Florida's public policy researchers and municipal governments, bridging the gap between academics and public policy makers and administrators. Dr. Alibašić has written and published extensively on the topics of administrative evil, sustainability, climate resilience, economic development, climate change and sustainable energy. Recently, he led the UWF interdisciplinary team of undergraduate and graduate students to the statewide Municipal Modernization 3.0 competition organized by Florida League of Cities and held in Orlando, FL.
In March 2017, Dr. Alibašić was appointed by the City Council to the City of Pensacola' Climate Mitigation and Adaptation Task Force at the recommendation of local community members and an elected official. He represents the UWF on Florida Energy Workforce Consortium.
Dr. Alibašić won the 2012 West Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC) – The C.R. Evenson Award, and the 2011 Grand Valley State University's Sustainability Champion Award. In 2013, Dr. Alibašić advised the Resilient Communities of America on climate resilience and went on to serve as co-chair for the energy sector of the White House Climate Preparedness and Resilience Task Force in 2014. In November of 2016, he won the prestigious Sustainable Hall of Fame Merit award from West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum. In January 2017, he won an Emerging Scholar Award at Thirteenth International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability and the On Sustainability Research Network, held in Rio, Brazil. He also received a 2017 Great Lakes-Saint Lawrence Cities Initiative (GLSLCI) Certificate of Appreciation and November 28th of 2016 State of Michigan Special Tribute.
Editorial Boards for Peer-Reviewed Journals
Dr. Alibašić is a Section Editor for the Creighton Journal of Interdisciplinary Leadership and Associate Editor for the International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Responses and for the On Sustainability Research Network. He is also an Editorial Review Board member for Public Integrity, a double-blind peer-review journal on ethics and integrity and a Peer-Reviewer for Energy Policy, peer review journal.
Degrees & Institutions:
Dr. Alibašić holds a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration (BBA) in International Business and Marketing and a Master's degree in Public Administration (MPA) from Grand Valley State University (GVSU). Dr. Alibašić earned a Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration from Walden University, where he was a recipient of the Doctoral Scholarship, Commitment to Social Change.
Dr. Alibašić is actively involved with the Bosnian American community and served as a past president of the Congress of North American Bosniaks (CNAB). He is a past board member of the Advisory Council for Bosnia and Herzegovina, an international expert team member of the Institute for Research of Genocide (Canada), and a member of the Bosnian Herzegovinian American Academy of Arts and Science (BHAAAS). He received a North American Bosniaks’ Special Recognition Award in 2013 for outstanding contributions to the advancement of Bosniaks and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Resilience and Sustainability Planning
- Administrative Evil
- Moral Inversion
- Sustainable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Undergraduate course: Public Administration in American Society
- Graduate Courses: Government Contract Law
- Public Service Ethics
- Political Economy of Public Administration
- Public Budgeting
- Public Budgeting and Finance (Ed.D. 7000 level course)
- Strategic Management in Administration (PAD7409 Ed.D. Level course)
- Strategic Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations (PAD6335)
- Introduction to Sustainability (GVSU)
- Building Sustainable Communities (GVSU)
- Building Sustainable Public-serving Organizations (GVSU)
- Practicum in Decision Making for Sustainability (GVSU)
- Implementing Sustainability in Organizations (GVSU)
- Sustainability (GVSU)
- Metropolitan Politics and Administration (GVSU)
- Public Policy Analysis (GVSU)
- Sustainable Business Strategies (DU)
- Managing for Sustainability (DU)
- Sustainability Theory and Practice (DU)
- International Business (DU)
- International Management (DU)
- Public Administration Management (DU)
- Alibašić H. (2018). Sustainability as Organizational Strategy. In Farazmand A. (eds) Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer International Publishing.
- Alibašić H. (2018) Role of Corporations in Addressing Climate Change. In: Farazmand A. (eds) Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer International Publishing
- Alibašić, H. (2018). Redesigning organizations for maximum resiliency in dynamic environments. In Farazmand, A. (Ed.) (2018). Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer International Publishing.
- Alibašić, H. (2018). Book Review: Business Improvement Districts in the United States: Private Government and Public Consequences. Public Administration Review, 78 (1), 169–172. doi:10.1111/puar.12899
- Alibašić, H. (2017). Sustainable energy policy for state and local governments. In Farazmand, A. (Ed.) (2017). Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer International Publishing.
- Alibašić, H. (2017.) Measuring the Sustainability Impact in Local Governments Using the Quadruple Bottom Line. The International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice 13 (3): 37-45.
- Balfour, D. and Alibašić, H. (2016). Administrative Evil. In Farazmand, A. (2016). Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer International Publishing.
- Mantravadi, S. and Alibašić, H. (2016). Hurricane Matthew: Effect on Healthcare and Community Resilience. The American Journal of Managed Care.
- Alibašić, H. (2015). A Case Study on Implementing Sustainable and Resilient Energy Initiatives in Water and Sewer Systems. German American Water Technology Magazine.
- Alibašić, H. (2015). Reconciling the past in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Genocide Denial and the Role of Moral Inversion. PREGLED: Peer-reviewed journal for Social Issues - ISSN 1986-5244 of the University of Sarajevo. Vol. 3, 2015.
- Alibašić, H. (2014-05-03). Michigan Cities Building a Sustainable Energy Platform: Holland, Ann Arbor and Beyond. TriplePundit People, Planet, Profit. www.triplepundit.com
- Alibašić, H. (2014-05-02). Planning and Implementing Climate Resiliency in Grand Rapids. The Review Magazine. Michigan Municipal League. www.mml.org/thereview/
- Alibašić, H. (2014-05-01). Michigan Cities Building a Sustainable Energy Platform: Focus on Grand Rapids. TriplePundit People, Planet, Profit. www.triplepundit.com
- Alibašić, H. (2014-02). Dayton in Bosnia and Herzegovina: 18 Years of Experiment in Democratic Governance/ Dayton u Bosni i Hercegovini: 18 godina eksperimenta u demokratskom upravljanju. Institute for Research of Genocide, Canada and Congress of North American Bosniaks.
- Alibašić, H. (2013, December 4). Grand Rapids Publishes Climate Resiliency Report. TriplePundit People, Planet, Profit. www.triplepundit.com
- Alibašić, H. (2013). The Impact of Applied Sustainable Energy Management on Local Governments. Ph.D. Dissertation. ProQuest/UMI
- Alibašić, H. (2013, November 1). The evolution of sustainability planning in Grand Rapids. TriplePundit People, Planet, Profit. www.triplepundit.com
- Alibašić, H. (2013, September). Korištenje primijenjene održivosti za inovacije u organizacijama (Bosnian)/Using Applied Sustainability to Innovate in Organizations. Pregled-Periodical for Social Issues No. 2/2013 Volume LIV.
- Alibašić, H. (2013, July 29). Local governments must take charge of building resilient communities. TriplePundit People, Planet, Profit. www.triplepundit.com
- Alibašić, H. (2013). Building sustainable and resilient Grand Rapids. German American Water Technology Magazine 2013/2014. 28-31.
- Alibašić, H. (2012, August 30). How energy efficiency strategy pays off in Grand Rapids. TriplePundit People, Planet, Profit. www.triplepundit.com
- Čekić, S., Lavić, S. Ramić, E. Alibašić, H. (2012, March) . The Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina as a Historical Fact. Congress of North American Bosniaks (CNAB); Institute for Research of Genocide, Canada; Bosniak Cultural Community "Preporod"
- Alibašić, H. (2012). Warning shots over Bosnia/Pucnji upozorenja iznad Bosne.
- Yearbook of the Bosniak Cultural Community "Preporod" (1/2012)/Godišnjak Bošnjačke zajednice kulture - ”Preporod”
- Alibašić, H. (2011). Sustainability and stewardship – An energy strategy for Grand Rapids. Mi-Biz.
- Ibraković, Dž. & Alibašić, H. (2010). Zaznamovana Bosna in Hercegovina (ali o zgodovinskem blatenju Bosne in Hercegovine (Slovenian language). Otočjeo. Letn. 2, št. 4 (2010), str. 82-108.
- Alibašić, H. (2009). The global economic crisis: Dangers and possibilities/Globalna Ekonomska Kriza: Opasnosti i mogućnosti. Academic Journal Pregled, Journal for Social Issues, 50, 2, 233-245
- Ibraković, Dž. & Alibašić, H. (2007). Marked Bosnia and Herzegovina/Obilježena Bosna i Hercegovina. Yearbook of the Bosnian Cultural Community "Preporod" (1/2007)/Godišnjak Bošnjačke zajednice kulture "Preporod" (Bosnian) (01/2007)
Keywords: sustainability and resilience planning, local governments, administrative evil, climate preparedness, sustainable energy, energy policy, corporate social responsibility