How do I come back to UWF after being suspended for academic reasons?
Students who have been suspended for academic reasons may request reinstatement after being absent from the university for at least one semester. Only for documented exceptional circumstances (serious illness of the student, serious illness or death in the immediate family, or military orders), may students request immediate reinstatement.
The reinstatement process is described in Confluence along with examples of the information needed. The reinstatement process is initiated by the student using an electronic form found in MyUWF. The quickest way to find the form is to search for “Reinstatement” at the top of the page.
The reinstatement process requires:
- The student to complete a Request for Reinstatement form;
- A meeting between the student and the advisor; and
- A meeting between the student and the student's department chairperson
The process may also include a hearing in which the student must present a sufficient case for reinstatement.
Before attempting to request reinstatement, be sure to already have electronic versions of your request letter and any additional documents:
Your request letter should be no longer than 500 words and contain the following:
- The causes of the academic problems leading to your suspension;
- Your actions to improve your chances of success at the University;
- Your plans to ensure that you will complete your degree; and
- An explanation for why you should be allowed to return to your studies
Examples of additional documents include the following:
- A doctor's note, written on an official letterhead;
- The obituary of an immediate family member;
- Paperwork that shows your military status changed to full-time active duty;
- Court papers that show you have been divorced or separated;
- Paperwork that shows you lost your home to a fire or flood
Some other important items:
- You need to allow time to complete the application, write your letter, meet with your advisor and chairperson, and give them time to process your request before the deadline. Doing this at the last minute does not make a good impression about your ability to be successful if you are reinstated. Deadlines are:
- Spring - November 1
- Summer - April 1
- Fall - July 15
- If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be extended to the following working day. Late applications will not be processed.
- If you have not attended UWF within the last three semesters, you will need to apply for readmission through the Office of Admissions. See the UWF Admissions Returning Students page for details. You need to start this process, but you will not be readmitted until after you are reinstated.
- Check MyUWF to ensure all other holds have been cleared. Failure to do this while you are waiting for your reinstatement process to be completed will only delay your registering.
- The Dean's Office Point of Contact is Dr. Bob Shaw (email@example.com or 850-474-3311), Dr. Eric Kollar (firstname.lastname@example.org or 850-474-2312), or Ms. Mary Benoit (email@example.com or 850-474-2770).