Get an introduction to the basic components of a GIS or learn more about a specific GIS task. These links and informative sites provide information on both UWF and external GIS tutorials and help resources.
UWF GIS Videos
Our expertise lies in our ability to communicate how to perform complicated location-based analysis and data presentation. Here you will find a collection of video tutorials created by our faculty and staff for specific tasks and lab assignments.
UWF GIS Guides
The following guides are intended for new students, but may also be of interest for new users. Learn the basic components of a GIS, hardware requirements, and more.
- We recommend new ArcGIS users complete the "Getting Started with GIS" free training web course offered by ESRI.com
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 for specific Application Tutorials
- ESRI virtual-campus software training courses. While these courses typically cost $40 -$150, UWF faculty, staff and students can access many of these courses at no cost
- GeoAcademy offers a series of five GIS courses, all based on the US Department of Labor Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM), that represents the essential curriculum needed to teach entry-level GIS Technician education. The courses provide both the background theory of geospatial science as well as the hands-on application using the QGIS ™ application software
- QGIS Tutorials and Tips by Ujaval Gandhi
- QGIS Video tutorials (basic tasks) includes videos for basic QGIS functions like loading data, creating maps, etc.
- Red Cross QGIS Training Materials and Data Resources
- GIS Stack Exchange provides a nice list of free tutorials and interesting course offerings on a wide range of topics and applications
- Geographer's Craft is a compilation of GIS lectures, exercises, resources, and projects
- Adobe TV for helpful topics and videos to enhance your cartographic skills using Adobe Illustrator CS4
The GeoData Center does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website. The inclusion of links or pointers to Web sites is not intended to assign importance to those sites or the information contained therein, nor is it intended to endorse or recommend any views expressed, or products or services offered on these sites.