UWF Logo
Catalog 2007-2008
   Catalog Cover
Catalog Home

Academic Advising
Academic Common Market
Access to Grades
Cancellation of

Classification of Students
Continuous Enrollment
Dead Week
Deadline Dates/Academic

Directory/Students, Staff,
  and Faculty

Dual Enrollment

Enrollment Definition
Final Course Examinations
Florida Residency for
  Tuition Purposes

Late Registration
Non-Degree Student

Registration Policies and

Reinstatement for
  Canceled Registration

Repeat Course Surcharge
Southern Regional
  Education Boards
  Electronic Campus

Senior Citizen Tuition

State Employees
Student Exchange

Student Records
Student Right-To-Know

Student Technology and
  Electronic Mail

Transient Student Status
Traveling Scholar Program
University Honors Program

Registration and Records

The Navigation Guide provides information and instructions for enrollment at on and off-campus locations. Course offering information is available via the World Wide Web at uwf.edu/registrar.

Degree-seeking students are responsible for arranging appointments with their assigned academic advisors prior to registration. Degree-seeking students who are enrolling for their initial semester at UWF must meet with their advisor prior to registration to discuss degree plans and have the advising hold deleted. Appointments can be made through the advising centers, academic departments, or for off-campus students, through the staff of the Fort Walton Beach Campus and Eglin Center. Degree-seeking students have priority for registration and enrollment.

Proof of measles (rubella and rubeola) immunization must be on file in the Health Center before students can register for classes. Students residing in UWF residence halls must provide proof of immunization for Meningitis and Hepatitis B or submit a waiver of immunization.

The Nautilus Card is required for students registering for the Pensacola campus courses.

A registration hold will be placed on the student record for one or more of the following reasons: academic suspension, incomplete admissions documents, financial obligations (parking tickets, library fines, etc.), administrative discipline, failure to comply with the immunization requirements, academic advising, student athlete monitoring, etc. A registration hold must be lifted or deleted prior to registration.

Students are able to view their grades, schedules, hold?s, and Financial Aid information on the World Wide Web via ARGUS (web portal).

Students with a financial obligation to the University of $100 or less (and debt is not more than 120 days past due) will be permitted to register for classes and participate in the drop/add process. Students who are allowed to register with outstanding charges are responsible for the payment of all charges, along with payment or authorized deferral of their current term fee assessment, by the fee payment deadline for that semester.

Students should contact the appropriate office and arrange for removal of the registration hold to register for classes, receive official transcripts, grades, and diplomas.

A normal enrollment for undergraduates is defined as 15 semester hours per semester. To enroll for more than 18 semester hours in a semester, a student must have the written permission of the academic advisor and the chairperson of the student?s major department. For certification of enrollment, 12 semester hours is considered full-time for a fall or spring semester; nine semester hours for a summer semester. Students who withdraw are not considered enrolled in the course once the withdrawal has been processed.

Graduate students may not enroll for more than 12 semester hours in a semester without the written permission of the academic advisor and the chairperson of the graduate program. For certification of enrollment, nine semester hours is considered full-time for a fall or spring semester; six semester hours for a summer semester. Students who withdraw are not considered enrolled in the course once the withdrawal has been processed.

Doctoral Program
For full-time status, the University requires a doctoral student to register for a minimum of nine graduate semester hours for fall and spring semesters and six graduate semester hours for summer semesters. Full-time status for students in the dissertation phase of the doctoral program requires six dissertation semester hours. The maximum number of hours for which a doctoral student may register in any given semester without special permission is twelve. To register for more than twelve hours, students must complete an ?Ed.D. Student Petition? form. Approval from the committee chair and the College of Professional Studies Graduate Office is required.

The University of West Florida reports enrollment status based on the definitions listed below:
  Undergraduate Graduate
full time 12 SH or more 9 SH or more
3/4 time 9-11 SH n/a
half time 6-8 SH 6-8 SH
less than half time 1-5 SH 1-5 SH

Many courses require prerequisites and/or corequisites. These requirements are included in the specific course descriptions. A prerequisite is a course in which credit must be earned prior to enrollment in a specific course. A corequisite is a course which must be taken concurrently with or prior to a specific course. Students must have completed the required prerequisites and register for, or have completed, corequisites prior to registration for the specific course. It is the student?s responsibility to review prerequisite and corequisite information as stated in the course description.

Entering freshmen who have scored below State determined minimums on the ACT or SAT exams or the College Placement Test (CPT) are required to take preparatory courses at a community college (UWF has an agreement with Pensacola Junior College to offer these courses on the UWF campus) in the appropriate areas before they may register at UWF for courses in those areas. Students must complete preparatory courses prior to or during their first 12 semester hours. Students scoring below the following minima will be required to take preparatory courses:
Test Math Prep Writing Prep Reading Prep
ACT Math 19 English Usage 17 Reading 18
SAT Math 440 Verbal 440 Verbal 440
CPT Algebra 72 English 83 Reading 83

The student is notified of this requirement by mail prior to orientation and registration. Preparatory courses carry no college credit and do not count toward the 120 semester hours required for graduation. The Office of Admissions must be provided proof of a student?s successful completion of a preparatory course before the student can continue enrollment beyond 12 semester hours at UWF.

For course registration, students enrolled in interdisciplinary programs shall be considered majors in the designated disciplines of the degree plan. These students shall be subject to the same prerequisites as other students.

Unless otherwise stipulated by external accreditation agreements, students whose academic programs require courses in other disciplines shall be given the same access to those courses as students in those majors.

Students who wish to study or do research under the direction of a faculty member for topics or areas not detailed in regularly scheduled courses may make arrangements for such study as a directed independent study. Credit hours and requirements are determined by the director of the study. Registration requires the approval of the faculty member who will supervise the study and the student?s advisor. In the College of Business, all directed independent studies also require the approval of the appropriate department chair.

Directed studies are available for approved subject area prefixes and levels and are designated by the last three digits of the course number. Example: ARH 4905 designates a senior level directed independent study in art history.

Courses at the 5000 level may apply to either a graduate or undergraduate degree program; however, a student may not receive both graduate and undergraduate credit for the same course, and the course may only be used for one program.

Juniors and seniors may enroll for 5000-level courses that will be included in their undergraduate program if they indicate this designation at the time of registration. Except in unusual cases, undergraduate students are restricted to 5000-level courses. Only undergraduate students who have maintained a ?B? average in courses numbered 3000 and above are permitted to enroll in graduate courses. For specific course requirements, students should contact the major department and refer to graduate course requirements in the Catalog.

A 6000-level course may not be included in an undergraduate program.

Undergraduate students who are within 30 semester hours of completing requirements for a bachelor?s degree may enroll for 6000-level courses with the permission of their advisors and course instructors, provided their records indicate they have applied for graduate programs. Undergraduate students may register for up to 10 semester hours in graduate courses for graduate credit; permission must be granted in writing from the appropriate college dean.

Graduate level fees are assessed for all graduate level courses regardless of the student?s classification.

Non-degree students may enroll in a 5000-6000 level course. Many advanced courses require that the instructor grant permission to each enrolled student, including non-degree students. Non-degree students have the responsibility to ensure they have the appropriate preparation for the courses and should discuss enrollment with the instructor prior to registration.

At the time of initial registration for each semester (including the drop/add period), degree-seeking undergraduate or non-degree students may elect to take a course on the pass/fail basis with the approval of the faculty advisor.

  1. The pass/fail option may not be used for any University or departmentally required course. Students should see their advisors for approval of courses to be taken on the pass/fail basis.
  2. No course taken to fulfill General Studies requirements, other University requirements, or to fulfill the student?s intended major may be taken on the pass/fail basis. The foreign language admission requirement may be taken on the pass/fail option.
  3. No more than six semester hours or two courses (whichever is greater in credit) per degree program curriculum may be taken on the pass/fail basis. A failed course taken on the pass/fail basis counts as part of the maximum six semester hours and is computed in the GPA. Students who student teach or enroll in courses graded only on a satisfactory/ unsatisfactory basis may enroll for an additional six semester hours on the pass/fail basis.
  4. Students may change from the pass/fail system in any course to the conventional letter grade system before the end of the tenth week of a fall or spring semester (see Academic Calendar for summer semester and short term dates). Courses changed from the pass/fail grading system to the conventional letter grade system prior to the published deadline do not count as part of the six semester hours or two courses permitted to be taken on the pass/fail basis.

Graduate students may not elect the pass/fail option.

Students who are enrolled at the University may choose to audit a course at the time of registration and through the end of the drop/add period. Instructors are not required to grade work of students auditing a course.

Students may change from the audit to the conventional letter grade system on or before the end of the fourth week of a fall or spring semester (see Academic Calendar for summer semester and short term dates). Students must have the instructors permission to change to an audit after the end of the drop/add period.

Out-of-State fees are not assessed for audit courses. Out-of-State students changing from audit to the conventional letter grade system will be assessed out-of-state fees.

No credit is earned for an audit course.

Class schedule changes may be processed during the registration period and the scheduled drop/add period. Students may choose to change their class schedules on ARGUS or by completing ?Drop/Add? forms and submitting them to the Office of the Registrar. If the drop/add results in a change of fees, the student must pay the additional fees as assessed. Any refunds of fees due to dropping a course prior to the end of the drop/add period will be issued by the Cashiers Office. Appeals to drop/add period should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar.

  Catalog | 11000 University Pkwy. | Pensacola, FL 32514 | (850) 474-2000 | Text Only | UWF Home