uwf banner 2004-2005 CATALOG  
Table of Contents
Telephone Directory
Academic Calendars
     Year 2004/2005
     Fall Semester 2004
     Spring Semester 2005
     Summer Semester 2005
University Mission
Degrees, Areas of Specialization,

After Admission
Financial Assistance
Student Activities
Student Services and Resources
Tuition and Fees
Military and Veterans Information
Registration and Records
Academic Policies
Graduation and General Degree

Public Service and Research Centers
College Mission Statements
Undergraduate Degree Programs
Master's Degree Programs
Specialist Degree Programs
Doctoral Degree Programs
Course Numbering System
Course Listings and Descriptions
Admission by Transfer
Admission from Secondary School
Appeal of Admission Denial
General Policies
General Readmission
Graduate Admissions
International Student Admission
Applicants to the University are considered international if they are not U.S. Citizens, dual citizens, or permanent residents. In addition to the policies and procedures stated for the different categories of admission, the following information pertains to international applicants.

Academic Records
International applicants must submit original documents or signed, officially certified photocopies of original documents, as well as certified translations of all documents that are not in English.

English Proficiency Test
If the international applicant's native language is not English, or the applicant is from a country in which the primary language is not English, they must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) before applying for admission. For undergraduate applicants, a minimum composite score of 525 and a listening comprehension score of 52 are required by the University. Those scores are equivalent to 193 composite and 18 listening scores on the computer-based TOEFL. For graduate applicants, a minimum composite score of 550 and a listening comprehension score of 52 are required by the University. Those scores are equivalent to 213 composite and 18 listening scores on the computer-based TOEFL. TOEFL scores are considered official only when they are sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the Educational Testing Service, Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey, 08541-6151, USA.

TOEFL information and registration forms are available in many locations outside the U.S., usually at U.S. embassies and consulates, at offices of the U.S. Information Agency (U.S.I.A.), from U.S. educational commissions and foundations, at Binational Centers, and from many private organizations such as the Institute of International Education (IIE), American-Mideast Educational and Training Services, Inc. (AMIDEAST), and the African-American Institute (AAI).

All international students who must take the TOEFL for admission are also required to demonstrate proficiency in English by either passing the English Entry Exam or completing a course in English for Non-Native Speakers. The English entrance exam is required in addition to the TOEFL for admission. Students will be required to take the English Entry Exam at the University prior to initial registration. Students failing to pass the exam must take the required English for Non-Native Speakers course. Students who fail this course must retake the course the next semester.

International students expecting to receive appointments as teaching assistants also are required to pass a test of spoken English.

Certification of Finances
Certification of finances must be completed before the student visa, "Certificate of Eligibility" (Form I-20 or DS 2019), is issued. The University is required by U.S. Immigration authorities to check the financial resources of each student prior to issuing Form I-20 or DS 2019. Therefore, it is important for the applicant know the costs of attending the University and have the necessary funds for the entire period of enrollment. Funds for one year of study and living expenses must be documented and approved by the University before an I-20 or DS 2019 is issued.

The "Confidential Financial Statement" form must be completed, signed by the student, and verified by the student's or sponsor's bank or financial institution with a statement of deposit. Before completing the "Confidential Financial Statement," the applicant should review the estimate of institutional costs and living expenses. The total amount of funds available to the student must be listed for each year of planned attendance and must equal or exceed the total estimate of institutional costs and living expenses. The "Confidential Financial Statement" must be accurate and documented to avoid unnecessary delay in processing.

Health Form/Health Insurance
Applicants must submit a "Student Health Form" completed in its entirety by a physician. Documentation of measles (rubella and rubeola) immunization must be submitted. Any document submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation. Florida law also requires that students residing on campus must provide proof of immunization for meningitis and hepatitis B, or sign a waiver indicating their informed decision not to be vaccinated.

International students are required to show proof of adequate medical insurance coverage for illness or accidental injury
before they will be permitted to register or to continue enrollment. An adequate medical insurance policy must meet a number of requirements, including that the insurance proceeds are payable in U.S. currency. Insurance may be obtained at the University before registration.

Deadlines for Applications and Supporting Documents
Fall Semester             June 1
Spring Semester         October 1
Summer Semester      March 1

Notice of Admission
If a student's application for admission to UWF is approved, an official notice of admission will be sent by the Office of Admissions. Admission is for a specific semester only. If the student is unable to enroll for the semester indicated on the notice of admission, the Office of Admissions should be informed immediately. If the student wishes to enter a different semester, the Office of Admissions must be notified in writing. Under no circumstances should an applicant make departure plans for Pensacola until official approval has been given by the Office of Admissions and the student has received the Form I-20 from the International Student Advisor (see section on passports and visas). Students who come to the campus without first receiving an official notice of acceptance do so at their own risk. The student's presence on the campus will not influence the decision on an application for admission.

Passports and Visas
Students meeting all admission requirements of the University will be mailed a "Certificate of Eligibility" by the International Student Advisor. Students possessing a valid Form I-20 or DS 2019 will be considered for a student visa (F-1 or J-1) by presenting it and the following documents to the nearest U.S. Embassy, or Consulate:
  1. A valid passport,

  2. Evidence of adequate financial support,

  3. Evidence of proficiency in the English language, and

  4. The type of health certificate required by the U.S. Consulate.
The student visa is stamped on a page in the passport.

Transfer of Funds
Prospective students should familiarize themselves with the current regulations of their own governments, as many restrict the purchase of U.S. dollars. Students should arrive with ample funds in U.S. dollars or traveler's checks. Local banks
provide exchange services, but this procedure can be lengthy and expensive.

International Student Advisor
The International Student Advisor is available to assist students with problems ranging from immigration to cultural and personal matters. Students should feel free to ask questions and seek assistance from this office at any time. The International Student Advisor may be reached at 850-474-2384.

The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service specifically restricts permission for international students to accept employment off campus. Permission is not granted during the first year of study. Permission, if granted, is restricted to 20 working hours per week. Permission to accept employment after completion of a degree for the purpose of practical training is not a right associated with a student visa, but a privilege. Any application for practical training must be approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. This employment is for training purposes only, for a temporary period not to exceed one year, and provides training in the student's field of study which is not available in the home country.