uwf banner 2004-2005 CATALOG  
Table of Contents
Telephone Directory
Academic Calendars
     Year 2004/2005
     Fall Semester 2004
     Spring Semester 2005
     Summer Semester 2005
University Mission
Degrees, Areas of Specialization,

After Admission
Financial Assistance
Student Activities
Student Services and Resources
Tuition and Fees
Military and Veterans Information
Registration and Records
Academic Policies
Graduation and General Degree

Public Service and Research Centers
College Mission Statements
Undergraduate Degree Programs
Master's Degree Programs
Specialist Degree Programs
Doctoral Degree Programs
Course Numbering System
Course Listings and Descriptions
Academic Policies
Academic Misconduct
Academic Standing
Certificate Programs
Choice of Catalog
Class Attendance
College Level Academic Skills Test (CLAST)
Common Program Prerequisites
Foreign Language Requirement
General Studies Requirements
Grading System
Honor Rolls
Multicultural Requirement
Nontraditional Credit
Recency of Credit
Residency Requirement
Summer Semester 9-Hour Rule
Transfer Credit
Upper-Division Status
Waiver and Appeals Policies
Writing and Mathematics Requirements (Gordon Rule)
Writing Skills Requirement

Level of Transferred Courses
Courses from regionally accredited institutions with appropriate grades are acceptable for transfer credit and will be transfered at the level which the course was classified by the institution granting the credit.

Transfer Grades
A "P" grade in a transferred pass/fail course may be used to satisfy General Education and Gordon Rule requirements if there is documentation provided by the student that the "P" was equal to a grade of "C" (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher, or if pass/fail was the only grading system available for the transferred course.

Undergraduate Transfer Credit
Transfer credit is normally allowed for courses completed at or through other regionally accredited institutions of higher learning. No credit, however, is allowed for technical, vocational, or pre-college courses.

Credits earned from Florida public institutions will be evaluated on the basis of the Florida Statewide Course Numbering System. Those courses considered equivalent will be accepted for transfer credit at the level at which the course was classified by the institution originally awarding the credit. Courses are considered equivalent when the prefix and the last three numerical digits of the course number are the same. Courses not considered equivalent may be accepted for transfer credit at the discretion of the departmental chairperson.

All grades earned at other regionally accredited institutions are entered on a student's record at the time of transfer exactly as earned. Such grades are averaged separately from grades earned at UWF and are not considered in the UWF GPA. Transfer grades are used in determining baccalaureate honors. Transfer courses appear on the UWF transcript.

The University accepts the A.A. degree from Florida public institutions at face value.

College work completed with satisfactory grades by a student at a regionally accredited institution of higher learning prior to graduation from high school will be considered under the same guidelines as other transfer work. The Office of Admissions must be provided an official transcript of such work.

Graduate Transfer Credit (Masters and Specialists)
Graduate transfer credits must have been earned within five years of the date of admission and be approved by the student's academic department. Graduate credits may be transferred from other institutions only when a grade of "B" or higher was earned in the graduate work to be transferred.

Students whose programs consist of 30 to 36 semester hours may have a maximum of six semester hours or two courses (whichever is greater in credit) of graduate work at other universities accepted toward their program requirements at UWF. The department chairperson's permission is required.

Students whose programs consist of more than 36 semester hours may have a maximum of 10 semester hours of graduate work from other universities accepted toward their program requirements at UWF.

Doctoral Program Transfer Credit
Students who have completed an Educational Specialist degree within the previous five years at UWF can transfer a maximum of 36 semester hours of graduate credit earned beyond a master's degree into the Ed.D. program. Students requesting to transfer course work from other institutions are advised on an individual basis. Graduate transfer credit must have been earned within five years of the date of admission and be approved by a student's academic department. Students are eligible to transfer a maximum of 10 semester hours of graduate work from other universities.

All hours transferred into the Ed.D. program must align with the professional core and specialization course requirements. Students admitted into the Ed.D. program must enroll in at least 30 semester hours in the Ed.D. program at UWF. Exceptions on transfer work and the 30 hour rule will be determined by the Ed.D. Program Committee.

Students choosing to petition for a larger number of hours to be credited to the Ed.D. program must submit an "Ed.D. Student Petition" form to the College of Professional Studies Graduate Office.

Transfer of Credit for Matriculated Students
UWF degree-seeking students completing course work at other institutions should complete and submit the "Transient Student Form." Completion requires that the student:

  1. Obtain permission of the department chairperson and advisor prior to enrollment at another institution;

  2. Consult with the Director of the University Advising Center if completing the UWF General Studies requirements; and

  3. Obtain certification from the Office of the Registrar for residency and degree status for students taking courses at a Florida public junior/community college or university. The determination of specific course requirements (Gordon Rule, General Studies, etc.) will be made upon receipt of the official transcript. The major department will determine course equivalency for courses in the major.