With an emphasis on professional preparation, the Department of Music offers students the opportunity to develop musicianship through practical experience, relevant course work and close interaction with faculty. Welcoming students with quality instruction, unique programs and special events, the Department of Music is medium in size and sponsors the following degree options:
- Bachelor of Music (B.M.) in Performance BM catalog description
- Bachelor of Music Educations (B.M.E.) BME catalog description
- Music Minor (PDF) catalog description
In addition to the course requirements, the Department of Music requires the following of its majors:
- Every student enrolled in applied lessons must participate in a major ensemble sponsored by the Department (i.e., band or chorus). Exceptions will be made only if students are student teaching in their senior year.
- All majors must participate in the weekly student recital performance classes and perform as recommended by their applied professor. Majors generally perform at least once during the semester. (recital performance request form (pdf).
- All majors must attend a designated number of concerts and/or recitals each semester in residence. The concerts and recitals may include student recitals, symphony concerts, music hall artists series concerts, and any other program of "classical" nature approved by the faculty.
- A minimum grade of "C-" in all major courses.
- All students must pass the UWF Piano Proficiency Examination before the end of their sophomore year. (Piano Proficiency Requirements)
- All students must pass the UWF Music Theory Placement Examination prior to enrolling in Structure and Style or Counterpoint. Course descriptions are listed alphabetically by prefix in the back of this catalog.
Degree Plan Checklists