UWF's Spanish minor will enhance cross-cultural sensibilities and expand opportunities in the job market.
The Spanish minor program at UWF is designed to enhance cross-cultural sensibilities and expand opportunities in the job market. Building upon basic language skills, it provides insights into Spanish culture and experience in practical application. The program provides the tools to make graduates more competitive in an increasingly global world.
Spanish Language in Figures*
- At the end of the 19th century, 60 million people were Spanish speakers. Today, nearly 500 million people across the world speak Spanish!
- Spanish is the mother tongue of approximately 350 million people in 21 countries (Mexico: 95 million, Spain: 40 million, Argentina: 35 million, Columbia: 35 million, Venezuela: 25 million, Peru: 20 million)
- Spanish is the second most used language in international communication.
- The Hispanic population in the United States has grown by 60 percent in just one decade. At present, there are 35.5 million Hispanics, representing 12.5 percent of the total population.
- Due to this increase there is a growing demand for the media to be in Spanish: radio, television, newspaper, magazines.
- The creation of MERCOSUR and many other free trade agreements between South American countries and North America (ALADI, the Andean Community, CACM, NAFTA, G3) which already exist in order to improve the economies of these countries, making them more efficient and competitive.
* Source: Instituto Cervantes, Anuario Español en el Mundo 1999-2001.
Students who are interested in completing the Spanish Minor program are strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Sylvia Fischer, World Languages coordinator, in order to timely plan the completion of the minor.
The World Languages Program at UWF offers a minor in Spanish as well as courses in Arabic, Chinese, German, French and Japanese. Students gain a foundation in communicating in a foreign language, understanding and working within cultural diversity and looking at the world from a different perspective.
Visit World Languages for more.
Contact us for more information:
Tour Our Campus!
Schedule a guided campus tour and visit the University of West Florida today!
At UWF, we realize that each student has individual aspirations. That's why we offer a unique educational experience that paves the way for you to impact the world through an exciting career. Ready to start your journey?