Experience UWF Downtown Lecture Series
The University of West Florida College of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities presents the Experience UWF Downtown Lecture Series showcasing scholars of outstanding prominence who promote the value and role of the Liberal Arts in building and sustaining contemporary culture.
Feb. 14, "Annihilation and the Southern Reach Trilogy," with Jeff VanderMeer, Award-Winning Author
The Experience UWF Downtown Lecture Series and UWF’s STEAM 2020 presents the UWF STEAM 2020 opening keynote address with Jeff VanderMeer, award-winning and New York Times best selling author.
Join us as VanderMeer delves into his work behind Annihilation and the Southern Reach Trilogy.
Jeff VanderMeer is an award-winning contemporary American author, editor, and literary critic. He is one of the leading minds of the New Weird movement, and his work introduces elements from postmodernism, ecofiction, and post-apocalyptic fiction. He lives in the region, and his work often draws inspiration from the ecologies of Northwest Florida. The Southern Reach Trilogy gained broader fame with the 2018 release of the blockbuster movie called Annihilation (based on one of the books in the trilogy).
- Friday, February 14
- Pensacola Museum of Art, 407 S Jefferson St, Pensacola
- 6 - 6:30 p.m., Reception
- 6:30 - 7:30 p.m., Lecture
* The event is free and open to the public. RSVPs are not required, but seating is limited and based on first-come basis. This series is presented by the UWF College of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, sponsored by the UWF Office of Equity and Diversity and is funded, in part, by the John C. Pace Symposium Series.
- September 12, 2019
- An Evening with Carl Hiassan
- New World Landing
- November 21, 2019
- Dr. Donna Yates
- "Stolen Antiquities and White Collar Crime: The Case of the Persian Guard"
- Museum of Commerce
- February 14, 2020
- Jeff VanderMeer
- "Annihilation and the Southern Reach Trilogy"
- Pensacola Museum of Art
- April 2, 2020
- UWF Faculty Panelists
- "The Labyrinth"
- Voices of Pensacola
Installment Sponsors and Partners
The Experience UWF Downtown Lecture Series is presented and sponsored by the UWF College of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities and UWF Equity & Diversity. It is also funded in part, by the John C. Pace Symposium Series.