General Education Course Syllabi
General Education course syllabi should include a statement of General Education student learning outcomes and an attendance policy. Each semester, all General Education course syllabi are reviewed and evaluated for the inclusion of these two elements.
General Education Student Learning Outcomes
Departments offering General Education courses are required to report on student learning outcomes from the General Education Domains Matrix. These Gen Ed SLOs must be identified on syllabi of all sections of Gen Ed courses.
- Lecture courses are required to assess two General Education SLOs and labs are required to assess one General Education SLO.
- Online sections and face-to-face (F2F) sections should assess the same SLOs; SLOs assessed should be reflected consistently across all syllabi for a given course.
- General Education SLOs should be from the 16 options on the Domains Matrix. You may include the definition of the SLOs in the syllabi if you wish, but the SLOs must be identified (e.g., Analysis/Evaluation, Diversity Skills, Quantitative Reasoning, etc.)
- General Education SLOs should be consistent throughout the academic year. If your course assesses Writing and Ethical Reasoning in the fall, it should also do so for spring.
Sample General Education Student Learning Outcome Statement
[Course Name] is designated as a General Education course. The General Education curriculum at the University of West Florida is designed to provide a cohesive program of study that promotes the development of a broadly educated person and provides the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in university studies. This course has been approved as meeting your requirement in the [Distribution area]. The major General Education learning outcomes for this course are [Learning Outcome 1] and [Learning Outcome 2].
If you are interested in a major in [your academic program] you should contact the [your academic department] at [department main phone number]. If you are undecided about your major, you should contact your academic advisor or Career Services at 850-474-2254.
General Education FTIC Attendance Policy
Each General Education course syllabus should include an attendance policy, which should include each of the following elements:
- a statement that attendance is mandatory
- the method by which the instructor will document attendance
- criteria by which the instructor defines an excused or unexcused absence (with a link to the university attendance policy)
- an explanation of how attendance affects a student’s grade and quantifiable consequences of absences
- a statement about attendance for financial aid purposes
Online sections should also include an attendance policy. Online course attendance policy exemplar
For assistance with the FTIC Attendance Policy, please contact the General Education Coordinator, Denise Kidd at 850-474-2108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the FTIC Attendance Policy
The General Education Course Attendance Policy for First Time in College (FTIC) Students is designed to encourage engagement and supports efforts to improve student retention at UWF. This Policy is a subset of and acts in concert with the Class Attendance policy. This policy requires:
- Regular attendance for FTIC students in General Education Courses is expected and will be documented.
- Each General Education class to have a written attendance policy and requires the attendance policy to be included in the course syllabus.
- The faculty member teaching a General Education Course is to record the last day of class attendance for all FTIC students enrolled in the course.
Other Helpful Resources
- For more information on assessment, please visit the CUTLA website or contact Dr. Claudia Stanny (email@example.com).
- Required Components of all UWF Syllabi
- General Education Course Sample Syllabus
- Suggested Attendance Policy Language for Syllabi of General Education Policy (requires ArgoNet credentials)