Goals for 2004-2005
1. Orient new provost to diverse constituents within the college.
2. Develop proposal to address current reorganization concerns for the following:
--School/Division of Fine and Performing Arts
--School/Division of Life and Health Sciences
--structure of English and Foreign Language Department
--location and support of university programs
(e.g., Honors, Student Success, Advising)
3. Participate fully with the Quality Enhancement Plan and SACS procedures.
--complete assessment plans for all CAS programs
--initiate continuous improvement process
--develop exit survey to be implemented for December graduation
4. Refine evaluation protocols for chairs and faculty to produce more consistent
application of standards for annual evaluation, promotion, and tenure.
5. Enhance presence and quality of programs in
6. Collaborate with Academic Affairs to produce plan to free crucial positions from
7. Design and launch outreach initiatives:
--Jerry Maygarden Public Service Lecture
8. Develop new strategies for the promotion of academic integrity and professional
ethics, including investigating the implementation of an honor code.
9. Promote campus engagement" theme by
--examining service learning options
--review of status of advisory boards
--strengthening connection to International House
10. Develop criteria for department of distinction status.
--increase showcase opportunities for student and faculty work
--promote scholarship in this area
Long-Term CAS Priorities:
Revisit college structure systematically to ensure
Initiate curricular review of General Education and develop appropriate assessment
planning (Year 2005-6).
Initiate curricular review of university multicultural requirement and develop
appropriate assessment planning (Year 2006-7).
Recruit new associate dean position for assorted duties, including oversight of
Develop more systematic strategies for faculty and chair development.
Increase opportunities/funding for international experiences for faculty and students.
Support stronger profile of graduate education on campus.
Strategize about best use of CAS alliances for fund and friend-raising by coordinating
efforts with Development Department.
Maintain vigilance about QUALITY OF LIFE in relation to performance expectations
regardless of work assignment within CAS.
Promote culture shifts toward stronger learner-centered orientation and broader
definition of scholarship.