Associate Professor and Director
of Public History Program
Phone: (850) 474-2683
Office: Bldg. 50, Room 139
Traditional History Courses
From Stalin to Star Wars: The Cold War and American Culture, Colony to Multi-centered Metropolis: American Urban History, The American West, Civil Rights, Urban History Seminar (Graduate), 20th Century America Seminar (Graduate)
Applied History Courses
Introduction to Public History, Public History Methodology (Graduate), Oral and Community History (Graduate/Dual), African-American Community History (Graduate/Dual), Policy History (Graduate), Advanced Museology (Graduate/Dual), Public History Practicum (Graduate)
Civil Liberties to Civil Rights: The Great Urban American Adventure; Corps of Discovery: Exploring the West of Lewis and Clark; Route 66 to the Atomic West, Cold War and Film; Civil Rights and Hollywood; Exploring Florida’s Panhandle for Teachers; Exploring Florida’s Panhandle (Summer History Institute for High School Juniors and Seniors)
Traditional: 20th Century United States, Cold War, Cultural, Urban, Civil Rights, American West
Public History: Community, Oral, Policy, Museum Studies, Heritage Tourism
Current Research Interests
NASA Kennedy Space Center, Institutional Memory and Concept Mapping, Guantanamo Bay Naval Base Commuters and Exiles, Cold War Culture
Ph.D., History, Arizona State University, 1997; Certificate, Community History Studies, Arizona State University, 1995; M.A., History, New Mexico State University, 1992; B.A., History, New Mexico State University, 1990; B.A., Political Science, New Mexico State University, 1990
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching or Advising Award, 2011
- UWF Argo Camp Namesake Designee, 2008
- U.S. Professor of the Year for the State of Florida, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) / Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2007-2008
- UWF Distinguished Teaching Award, 2007
- Teaching Incentive Program Award (TIP), 2007
- UWF President's Public Service Award, 2006-2007
- UWF Academic Leadership Fellowship Program, 2006-2007
- UWF LEAD Program, Nomination and Selection to Class of 2006, 2005-2006
- UWF Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching and Advising Award, 2003
- UWF President’s Award in Leadership and Diversity, 2003
- UWF Teaching Incentive Program Award (TIP), 2003
- UWF Outstanding Student Organization Advisor Award, 2001-2002
- UWF Distinguished Teaching Award, 2000
- Ira Clark Outstanding Graduate Student in History, New Mexico State University, 1991-1992
- Historical Research Associates, Board of Directors Member, 2012-Present
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)-Impact Assessment Incorporated, Federal Research Historian, 2005-2006
- NASA/ASEE (National Aeronautics and Space Administration / American Society for Engineering Education) Kennedy Space Center Faculty Fellow, 2002-2003
- Minerals Management Service (MMS)-Impact Assessment Incorporated, Federal Research Historian, 2000-2005
- National Council on Public History
- President-Elect, 2012-2014 (President 2014-2016, Past President 2016-2018)
- Secretary-Treasurer 2006-2009, 2009-2012
- Finance Committee Chair, 2006-2012
- 2011 Local Arrangements Committee Chair, 2009-2011
- Digital Media Group, 2008-2012
- Cultural Resources Management Committee Chair, 2002-2004
- Electronic Communications Committee, 1995-1998
- American Association of State and Local History
- AHA-NASA Fellowship Selection Committee, 2007-2012
- Florida Department of Education African-American History Task Force, 2012-Present
- American Association of State and Local History
- Organization of American Historians
- American Historical Society
- Oral History Association
- Pensacola Historical Society (prior to 2009 Merger with WFHPI)
- Board Member, 2007-2009
- Leadership Pensacola Alumni Association
Notable Traditional and Applied Publications
Voices from the Cape, University Press of Florida, under contract, forthcoming.
Fueling the Fascination: Kennedy Space Center and the World's Spaceport Romance, University Press of Florida, under contract, forthcoming.
Impact Assessment, Inc. Preliminary Assessment of the Impacts of Hurricane Katrina on the Gulf of Mexico Coastal Fishing Communities. Submitted to: U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Southeast Regional Office (SERO), St. Petersburg, FL. April, 2007 (Available at NOAA Southeast Regional Office Website)
Impact Assessment, Inc. Edward Glazier, Laura Stanley, Carson Mencken, Karl Eschbach, Patrick Moore, Pamela Godde. 2008. Benefits and Burdens of OCS Activities on States, Labor Market Areas, Coastal Counties, and Selected Communities. U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Gulf of Mexico OCS Region, New Orleans, LA. OCS Study MMS 2008-052. 491 pp. OCS Study MMS 2008-52
Effects on Local Human Communities of OCS Mineral Extraction in Frontier Areas, Pensacola and Panama City Community Comparison. United States Minerals Management Service. Impact Assessment, Inc. December 2004.
Gulf South Historical Review. “‘Redneck Riviera’ or ‘Emerald Coast?’: Interpreting Florida’s Panhandle through Public History.” The Journal of the Gulf South Historical Association, Spring 2003.
Notable Applied History Projects
Next Exit History™ and associated applications suite, University of West Florida. Technology-driven initiative designed to connect audio and video webcasts with Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to deliver on-site, fully customizable historical data to users. Associated programs include TellusPoint™ resources and applications. Program partners include Dr. Jay Clune, UWF; Dr. David Dawson, UWF; Tim Roberts, UWF.
Route 66 to the Atomic West with the NextExitHistory™ Mobile Applications, 2013.
Following the Lewis and Clark Trail with the NextExitHistory™ Mobile Applications, 2012.
Guantanamo Public Memory Project National Dialogue and Traveling Exhibit, 2011-2014.
L.Z. Russell Vietnam Veterans Group Oral History Project, 2005.
University of West Florida History Project, 2004.
Kennedy Space Center Historical Concept Map (CMap), 2002.
Kennedy Space Center Archives Photograph Project, 2002.
Kennedy Space Center Oral History Program, 2002.
University of West Florida Oral History Project, 2002-Present.
Guantanamo Bay Oral History Project, Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, Cuba, 2001.