Marie Therese Champagne
Associate Professor and Phi Alpha Theta Adviser
Phone: (850) 474-2681
Office: Bldg. 50, Room 144
Western Perspectives I, Rome and the Mediterranean World, The Fall of Rome and Birth of Europe, The High Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation, Medieval Women (additional section for Honors Program), Issues in Gender and Diversity, The Vikings in History and Legend
Graduate Reading Seminars In: The Middle Ages, Jerusalem in Antiquity and the Middle Ages.
European History before 1650, particularly Medieval Europe in the High Middle Ages
Current Research Interests
12th c. Papal-Jewish Relations in Rome, Christian Hebraists and Exegetes in 12th c. Rome, Jewish Perspectives of Rome in the 12th c.
Ph.D., Louisina State University, 2005; M.A., Louisiana State University, 1999; B.S.N., Southeastern Louisiana University, 1977.
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Internationalization Grant, Summer 2014
- Faculty Scholarly and Creative Activity Award, Summer 2010, 2012, 2014
- NEH Summer Institute, Oxford University, Summer 2008
- Student Services Vice President's University Award for Outstanding Service among Faculty, 2005-2006
- Dissertation Year Fellowship, LSU Graduate School, 2004-2005
- John Leyerle-CARA Prize for Dissertation Research at the Library of the Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies at the University of Toronto, awarded by the Medieval Academy of America, 2004
Marie Thérèse Champagne. "Both Text and Sub-Text: the Circulation and Preservation of Two Manuscripts of Nicolaus Maniacutius in Twelfth-Century Europe." Textual Cultures: Text, Context, and Interpretation, 2011.
Marie Thérèse Champagne. "Walking through the Shadows of the Past: the Jewish Experience of Rome in the Twelfth Century." Medieval Encounters: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Cultures in Confluence and Dialogue, 2011.
Marie Thérèse Champagne. "Celestine III and the Jews." In Pope Celestine III (1191-1198): Diplomat and Pastor. Edited by John Doran and Damian Smith. In Church, Faith, and Culture in the Medieval West. Aldershot: Ashgate, December 2008.
Marie Thérèse Champagne. "Treasures of the Temple: The Jewish Heritage of Papal Rome in the Twelfth Century." Aspects of Power and Authority in the Middle Ages. Edited by Brenda M. Bolton and Christine E. Meek. In International Medieval Research Series. Turnhout: Brepols, December 2007.