Undergraduate Programs offered in Biology
The Department of Biology offers three Bachelor of Science degree programs, and these programs are:
- B.S. Biology (General & Pre-Professional)
- B.S. Marine Biology
- B.S. Interdisciplinary Sciences (Pre-Pharmacy & Zoo Science)
Fall 2014 Registration Tips
1. All students will need a pin and and a time ticket in order to register in your classes. You should also be able to access your pin and time ticket through your MyUWF account. Please see http://uwf.edu/go/registration/ for details on how to access your pin, your time ticket, and for information on how to register in your classes.
2. If you do not have an advising pin, you will need to contact your advisor for this assistance before you will be able to register in your classes.
a. Sophomore, Junior, Senior and Graduate level students majoring in Biology or Interdisciplinary Science will need to contact Steve Celestial at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (850)-474-2885
b. Sophomore, Junior and Senior level students majoring in Marine Biology majors will need to contact Dr. Alexis Janosik email@example.com or at (850)-857-6033
c. Freshman level students in these majors will need to contact the First Year Advising Center in Building 18 for this assistance before you will be able to register in your classes. You can also reach them at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (850)-474-3170.
3. The Department of Biology will no longer be able to process course registrations of any type to include the following.
a. Directed Studies
4. All students will also need to submit a "Variable Credit Hour Registration Form" to the Registrar's Office in Building 18 in order to register in a directed study or thesis credit.
5. Undergraduate students (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior & Senior level) can only register in courses that are 1000-4000 level. 5000 level and above are for students pursuing a master's degree or a doctorate degree from UWF. Please be sure to select the appropriate course level when registering and setting up your trial schedules.
6. Once Fall 2014 registration begins and once you register in your Fall classes, you will not be able to drop or withdraw yourself from all of your courses without the Registrar's Office approval. You will be able to basically have the option of dropping or withdrawing from all of your courses except for one, but you will need the Registrar's approval on dropping or withdrawing from your last course. If you are only registered in one course, you will also need the Registrar's Office approval to drop or withdraw from your one and only course.
7. More than likely you will not be able to set up a trial schedule for Fall 2014 online, and will need to do this manually.
8. If you are enrolled in a course this Summer at UWF or elsewhere, you may not be able to register in a course this Fall at UWF if the course you're registered in for this Summer is a prerequisite to your Fall course. You may also not be able to register in any Fall course that has a prerequisite that you completed elsewhere prior to Summer 2014. If by chance you have either of these snags with Fall 2014 registration, you will need to contact the Department that offers the course you're attempting to register in for this assistance.
9. If any of the following courses are offered online, they will NOT be open to Biology, Interdisciplinary Science or Marine Biology majors and cannot be taken for credit towards your degree if offered online. (These courses are offered online only to students pursuing an online degree or a non-science type degree from UWF) –
STA4173 – Biostatistics
OCP4550 – Global Climate Change
PCB4364 - Marine Ecophysiology
PCB4703 - Human Physiology
BSC4263 - Biological Oceanography
ZOO3558 - Coral Reefs
10. The following labs will not be available to Biology, Marine Biology or Interdisciplinary Science majors at this time, and if you're planning to take one of these labs in the Fall, you will need to select a lab section with a different CRN than those listed below:
BCH3033L - Biochemistry I Lab (CRN 80187)
MCB3020L - Microbiology Lab (CRN 81142)
PCB3063L - Genetics Lab (CRN 81292)
11. The prerequisite check system will once again be enforced during registration. If you are not able to register in one of your courses due to prerequisite issues, you will need to contact the Department that offers the course for assistance in registering. For example, if it’s a math course, you will need to contact the Math Department for registration assistance. If it’s a Chemistry course - contact the Chemistry Department, Physics course - contact Physics, etc.
12. If a lab for a course is listed as zero credit, you won’t be able to register in the lecture portion of this course unless you also “simultaneously” register in the corresponding lab section.
13. If a course or lab is full, you will need to contact the instructor of the course or lab for permission to register over the limit. If no instructor is listed for the lab, you will need to contact the instructor of the lecture portion of the course for this permission. If no instructor is listed for the lecture, you will need to contact the department that offers the lecture for this permission.
14. If any other course requires department permission to register other than those mentioned above, you will need to contact the instructor of the course for permission to register. If the instructor for the course is by chance not listed, then you will need to contact the department that offers the course for this permission.