Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Advising FAQs

1. When should I meet with my advisor?

• You will need to meet with your departmental advisor to set up a degree plan once you reach sophomore level or higher.
• A degree plan will need to be set up before you can register for your classes.
• A student may schedule an appointment to see an advisor anytime during the semester if you have questions, but it is recommended that you schedule an appointment at least 1 month prior to registration if you need assistance in determining your class schedule for the next semester.

2. What is an "advising hold"? And why do I have one?

• You may notice various holds on your MyUWF account. One of them may be through the Department of Biology. The CAS advising hold simply means that you must see an academic advisor before you can register for classes. You will also need to see your advisor to discuss your new schedule before the hold can be lifted for registration. Once you have met with your advisor, the hold is lifted through the drop/add period for the next semester.

3. When will I be classified as a senior?

• You will be classified as a senior once you complete at least 90 semester hours "and" also complete at least 20 semester hours at the 3/4000 level. This also does not include the semester hours that you are currently enrolled in.  Hours need to be fully completed before they can count towards these totals.

4. How do I set up an appointment with my advisor?

• Appointments can be scheduled through e-mail, phone or by stopping by the office in Building 58, Room 62I.
• Advisor contact information is available at advising.

5. Do you take walk-in appointments?

• The Department of Biology makes every effort to help a student, but it is highly recommended that you call or e-mail the Biology Advisor for an appointment (or prior to visiting) to be sure that they will be available to see you.

6. What if I decide to change my major?

• You will need to complete the Change of Major form at the Office of the Registrar. to make these changes to your academic record.  If you are an undergraduate, a printed copy of the completed form should be returned to the University Advising Center in Building 18 for processing. If you have questions concerning your new major, you are encouraged to schedule an appointment with your advisor.

7. How can I change my class schedule after the semester has started?

• Drop/Add period (1st week of semester) - You will be able to drop or add courses through MyUWF during this period. Please consult with your advisor before doing so.
• After the 1st week of semester - You will be able to withdraw (not drop) from individual courses up until the 11th week of the semester, and withdrawal requests can be processed through your MyUWF account. You will be unable to add any additional courses to your schedule after the 1st week of the semester.

8. How do I apply for graduation?

• The application for graduation is for the posting of your degree and the mailing of your diploma.
• Applications for completion of AA degrees are available at AA application.
• Participation in commencement is optional, and details are available at the Commencement RSVP.
• See Graduation Information for more details.

9. If I plan to repeat a course to earn a better grade, what are my options? Also, what is Grade Forgiveness and how do I apply?

• Grade forgiveness is not automatic.
• See details at Grade Forgiveness Request Form & Policy.

10. If I plan to take a course at another college or university in Florida, how can I be sure it will transfer back to UWF, and what documentation do I need?
11. If I plan to take a course at another college or university outside of Florida, how can I be sure it will transfer back to UWF, and what documentation I need?

• The Department of Biology does not require this documentation as long as your advisor has approved the transferability of the course work.
• If the college or university you're planning to attend is requiring documentation, the request form is available at transient student form (pdf).

12. How do I calculate my GPA?

• See Calculating my GPA for details.

13. When is Spring Break?

2014: March 10-14
2015: March 9-13
• See also the Academic Calendar, and check under the Holidays section for this information.

14. What employment opportunities are available with my degree?
15. How do I set up my Argonet accounts?
16. Why should I log into MyUWF?

• The advisors use your information in MyUWF to get in contact with you. Once the semester has started, be sure to do the following:
     1. make sure your mailing address and phone number are current
     2. check your UWF email regularly OR forward your other email accounts to UWF
• Email is UWF's official mode of contact with students! Your advisor will send emails throughout the semester regarding important deadlines and registration.