Argopedia is a wiki of UWF trivia, definitions, other oddities and amusements. Taking a look at the kinds of questions we get over time, we thought it would be both helpful and fun to put everything down in one place.
Numbers and Stats
- 65,699 - UWF Alumni
- 12,702 - Total students enrolled at UWF for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- 10,358 - Total undergraduate students enrolled at UWF for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- 1,438- Students in the fall 2014 Freshman class. Below are the class's average high school GPA and ACT/SAT test scores.
- 3.59 - Average high school GPA.
- 23.74 - Average composite ACT score.
- 1532 - Average composite SAT score (3 score).
- 003955 - UWF's Financial Aid (FAFSA) Code.
- 0771 - UWF's ACT code. Be sure to send all of your ACT scores.
- 5833 - UWF's SAT code. Be sure to send all of your SAT scores.
- 2,215 - Number of on-campus beds in the UWF Residence Halls. Learn more about UWF's Housing and Residence Life.
- 1,600 - Acres. UWF's campus totals 1,600 acres, including a 146 acre Baars-Firestone Wildlife Sanctuary and more than 25 miles of running/hiking/biking trails.
- 1559 - The year Spanish explorers and colonists founded Pensacola, making it the oldest European settlement in the continental U.S. They arrived August 15, 1559, only to have their settlement destroyed in a hurricane about a month later.
- 150 - Over 150 student organizations and clubs on campus; go on and get involved. We have something for you.
- 82 - Percentage of classrooms on campus with 60 or fewer seats-in the room; 4% hold over 100 seats; 3% hold more than 170 seats.
- 79 - Division II Conference Championships. Go Argos!
- 71 - Percentage of students who receive financial aid.
- 38 - Number of students in UWF's first-ever graduating class (1968).
- 34 - Average class size for all freshman courses at UWF.
- 25 - Average class size for upper-level students at UWF.
- 15 - Number of Division II athletic sports at UWF, competing in the Gulf South Conference. Learn more about UWF Collegiate Athletics.
- 8 - Division II Athletic national championships! Go Argos!
A - Z listings
Annin's Cannon: The lawn between the University Commons and the John C. Pace Library gets its name from the cannon at its northeast end. UWF student Robert Annin retrieved the cannon from the Pensacola Pass. It is an 18th-century, British, 32-pound garrison gun thought to have been part of a battery that guarded the entrance to Pensacola Bay. Look for campus events to be held here throughout the year, including Exam Jam (before "finals week") where students can enjoy food and music. Look for outdoor movies throughout the year as well.
Argo Arrival: Argo Arrival is an annual tradition that serves as the official kick-off of the academic school year at the University of West Florida. It fosters school spirit for both new and returning students with week-long events, activities, fun and food! Learn more about Argo Arrival.
ArgoCamp: Scheduled a week before school starts, this additional/optional portion of UWF orientation gives incoming students a chance to create new friendships, learn about our community and have fun before the school year begins. Learn more about Argo Camp.
ArgoConnect: A private, social network for admitted freshman students. Once admitted, students will be personally invited to join and meet the other future Argos in advance of their arrival.
Argonaut (ARGO): Inspired by Greek mythology, the legendary Jason and the Argonauts embarked on a long, perilous voyage to capture and bring home a golden fleece. This voyage symbolizes the journey of excellence embarked upon by each and every one of our students-to capture and bring home their college education.
ArgoPulse: The heartbeat of Argo Life on Campus. See what's going on and stay connected.
Building=Numbers & Students=Names: We'll just say that UWF is a place where the buildings have numbers and the students have names. It's a U-dub thing.
Central Time Zone: Well, we figure you already knew there was such a thing, but we are sure you didn't know we were IN IT.
Colonial Archaeological Trail: A trail that traces key elements of Pensacola history. You'll find the starting marker in the Plaza Ferdinand VII in Historic Pensacola Village.
Cross of the Officer: Spain's highest civil honor given on behalf of the King, representing induction into the Order of Isabella the Catholic. UWF President Dr. Judith A. Bense received this honor in May 2010 in recognition of her work as a colonial Spanish scholar, including archaeological work in Florida.
Exam Jam: An event, held before "finals week," with food, activities and the chance to relax. Hosted by the Campus Activity Board and held before "finals week," this event offers free food, activities and the change to relax. Learn more about our other campus activities.
Holodeck: The virtual-reality, 3-D visualization lab housed inside the School of Science and Engineering Building (Building 4). Learn more about the Holodeck.
Hopjacks: A great place with a great vibe to get pizza. A new location popped up near campus, but the original is located downtown.
Mainstage: Mainstage Theater in the Center for Fine and Performing Arts. Check out our upcoming performances.
McGuire's: Pensacola's famed Irish restaurant. It features millions of dollars stuck to the ceiling. And, locals report it’s also THE place to get Senate Bean Soup for just 18 cents. Plus, McGuire's has a running club that meets each week and sponsors many local running events in the community.
Most Popular Majors: Based on total number of majors and/or graduates, UWF's most popular majors include: psychology, communication arts, biology (especially marine biology), computer science, teacher education and pretty much anything from the College of Business.
MyUWF: A UWF student’s online information portal. It's also THE place where prospective students can check on the status of their application for admission.
Nautilus Market: The student cafeteria located in the University Commons, which is what we call our student union.
Ozones: A local pizza eatery found in in the Historic Pensacola Hospital. Stop by to grab a slice and watch out for a ghostly companion.
Pensacola, FL: It's a place to play. It's a place to work. It's a place to visit. Simply put, it's the perfect place for UWF students. It's a must-see. Really. Check out Pensacola!
SAR: Student Aid Report is the report generated after you complete the FAFSA. UWF uses your SAR in need-based financial aid awards.
Seville Quarter: Nightlife and entertainment center for Pensacola college students. Look for college night specials on Thursdays. Yes, the legal drinking age is still 21.
Skylab: A new learning and technology center in the campus library. It's a must-see. Really, check it out!
Sports (Collegiate) on Campus: UWF competes in the NCAA Division II and Gulf South Conference, in these sports. MEN: baseball, basketball, cross country, football (coming Fall 2016), golf, soccer and tennis. WOMEN: basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis and volleyball.
Sport (Recreation) Clubs: Sports clubs at UWF include everything from SCUBA and wakeboard/waterski to the BBQ club. Clubs are given the opportunity to shape their own unique atmosphere. Membership for any sport club is open to all current University of West Florida students. Learn more about sport clubs and intramural sports.
TAG: The Art Gallery in the Center for Fine and Performing Arts.
Tristan de Luna Fleet: Discovered by two UWF students in 2006 and later explored by Professors John Bratten and Gregory Cook, this shipwreck in Pensacola Bay endures as the remains of one of the colonization ships of the Tristan de Luna fleet that sank during a hurricane in 1559.
WUWF: Bark, bark, whoof, whoof! It's our on-campus radio and TV station. Learn more about WUWF.
Create Your Experience at UWF
Expect to work hard and play hard. Expect to share knowledge. Expect to leave inspired and ready to excel. Ready to start your journey?Apply Now
Seeing is Believing
We welcome prospective students, their families and friends to campus for tours Monday through Friday.Visit UWF
Connect with Us
Come connect with us to uncover all the opportunities we have waiting for you. Learn, discover, explore and have fun!Connect with Us