Handshake Student and Alumni User Guide
What is Handshake?
UWF Office of Career Development and Community Engagement is thrilled to partner with Handshake, a cutting-edge career development platform, to be your one-stop-shop for launching your career. Handshake offers many features, enabling you to:
- Search nationwide and local employment opportunities, internships, part-time jobs
- Access to employers based on your major and interest
- View upcoming career events
- Schedule appointments with your career coaches
This guide will lead you through some of the major functions in Handshake and help you make the most of your Handshake account.
Accessing & Activating your Handshake Account
Current students will access Handshake via MyUWF and will have an account already created for them once they are enrolled in classes. Follow these steps to activate and access your Handshake account:
- Log into your MyUWF account and search for Handshake in the search bar.
- Log into Handshake using your ArgoNet username and password.
- Your profile activation will begin with a series of questions regarding your career preferences. Simply select the options that describe you best. Handshake will use your answers to customize your experience with suggested jobs and opportunities.
Note: You may skip this step and complete your career preferences questionnaire at a later time. Just select your own name in the top right corner, then select Career Interests.
- You’ll need to decide whether to make your profile public or private.
- A public profile, and most information in the profile, can be seen by any employer on Handshake and by your career coach. Note: There are some Handshake profile components, like GPA, that have their own privacy settings. So you can make your profile public, but your GPA private, for example. Your profile can’t be seen by other students or by Career Services Centers at other schools.
- If you make your profile private, it can only be seen by you and UWF Career Development and Community Engagement staff members.
- You can switch your privacy status at any time, from private to public or from public to private.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, you’ve successfully activated your account are can begin using Handshake.
Alumni will need to create a Handshake account and connect with UWF. Go to MyUWF and search for Handshake. Follow the instructions on How to Log In as an Alumni to view step-by-step instructions.
If you are an alumni who graduated from UWF 2012 or later, you will access Handshake as previously described for students. If you no longer have access to your MyUWF account, you can call the ITS Helpdesk at 850.474.2075 to reactivate your account.
If you are an alumni who graduated from UWF prior to 2012, request an account by contacting the Office of Career Development and Community Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or 850.474.2254. Once you have been granted access you may follow the student instructions for activating your account.
Completing Your Handshake Profile
The more information you add to your profile, the easier it will be for employers to find you and to make good decisions about whether or not you might be a good fit for their employment opportunities. Consider the following steps to make your profile complete and increase your career marketability.
Some of your information will already be in your Handshake profile. Check to be sure all pre-loaded information is correct. If you find an error in any of your profile data, contact email@example.com to correct it.
- Select My Profile from the drop down menu under your name in the menu bar to make changes.
- Begin by uploading a professional headshot or a good photo of yourself. Make sure you are looking at the camera in this photo and that you are the only person in the frame. Also ensure you are dressed professionally!
- Complete the sections regarding your work experience, and specify information for each field, including job title, employer, location, and dates. Then use bullet points to describe your accomplishments, impacts, and duties at each position.
- List any organizations of which you are a member. These may include student organizations and community organizations. Be sure to include any leadership positions you have held while a member.
- Next, add relevant coursework you have completed. We recommend reserving this section for courses in which you learned highly relevant skills—typically these are courses at the 3000 or 4000 level. However, you may be interested in sharing your public speaking course or another special course to highlight.
- Then, add any skills you’ve acquired through school, work, or other meaningful involvement. Make sure you to list technical skills or “hard skills”—these include specific computer applications (i.e., Java, C++, etc.), foreign languages, writing styles, or other career-specific knowledge. You may also add class projects to your Handshake account. This shows employers how you’ve applied the skills and experience you’re listing in your profile.
How do I upload documents to my Handshake account?
To apply to career opportunities, Co-ops, internships, full time or part-time jobs, you’ll need to have some documents uploaded to your Handshake account. Follow these steps to add documents to your account. Note: document uploads have a max of 20 MB.
- Select Documents from the drop down menu under your name in the top menu bar.
- Select Add New Document.
- Once you drag or choose a document from your computer, you can name it and select the document type. This could be a résumé, transcript, cover letter, or another document type.
- Click Add Document.
- Voila! Your document is stored in your Handshake account, and is ready to be added to your first Handshake job application!
Request an Appointment in Handshake
Handshake is the best way to schedule appointments for career coaching and assistance at the Office of Career Development & Community Engagement. Follow these steps to schedule your next appointment!
- From Career Center dropdown at the top of your screen and select Appointments.
- On the following page, you’ll see any past and upcoming appointments you have scheduled. To request a new appointment, click the Schedule a New Appointment button.
- You will see the option to pick a category and type of appointment. Select the category and type of appointment you are interested in scheduling.
- You will be taken to the next available appointment times once you have selected an appointment category and type. If you are unsure, please refer to the description below each appointment option, or call our office at 850.474.2254.
- Click on a time that works for you or click on staff member to see the availability of different staff members. Be sure to check your class schedule for your availability!
- When you’ve chosen the best time and date for you, please give us more information in the Help Requested section. This ensures we are prepared to help you prior to your appointment and can spend our time together efficiently and effectively!
- Click Request at the bottom of the screen to finalze your appointment.
- You will be taken to the overview of the appointment where you can cancel the appointment or add comments before the appointment.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your appointment is confirmed by your career coach. You will also receive a reminder email on the day of your appointment.
- Make sure that you check your notifications for updates to the status of your appointment.
Note: Please add your appointment to your personal calendar or agenda, as students who miss two or more appointments without rescheduling lose career coaching privileges for the semester. We require 48 hours advance notice to cancel your appointment to ensure availability to other students needing assistance.
Exploring Employers and Jobs
One of the most exciting components of Handshake is that it provides so many awesome opportunities for jobs, co-ops, internships, part-time jobs, and on-campus employment. This section will give you strategies and tips to help strengthen your search skills.
- Start by clicking on Jobs in the top menu bar. You will be taken to the Job Search page.
- Next, you may explore opportunities by job or by employer--—just select the Job Search or Employers tab to begin.
- In the Job Search section, search for job titles, employers, or keywords. You may also filter job by type (on-campus, internship, full-time, etc.), location, industry and more. You’ll notice the option for additional filters on this page also. Clicking on Filters will open up additional advanced filters you can use to narrow your job search even further.
- Handshake also suggests jobs for you based on your responses to the career preferences questions when you activated your account. If you opted not to respond in the beginning, you may return to those questions anytime by selecting your own name in the top right corner, then selecting Career Interests.
- In the Employers tab, you can explore employers by industry, size, reviews, company size, location, and more. Be sure to explore employers’ reviews, Q&A, interview information, and current job openings.
Applying to Jobs in Handshake
It’s important to gain experience while in college and start applying to full-time jobs a few months before your graduation date. Let Handshake help in your job search by following the next steps.
- Click Jobs at the top of the screen.
- Search for jobs that interest you.
- Select the job that you are interested in applying to by clicking on View Details.
- Review the details and qualifications for the job to make sure it is a good fit. You can favorite a job if you’re not quite ready to apply yet. This will all you to find the job again easily, in your favorite jobs.
- If you are ready to apply, you will either apply using an internal application or external application.
- Select the documents you would like to upload from your document library or upload documents directly from your computer.
- Click the green Submit Application button when you are ready to submit your application.
⚠ NOTE: If this job has additional application instructions, you will see a message with directions that you will need to follow to complete this application. Click any links provided to be directed to the external site in another browser tab.
- Once you’ve successfully completed your external application, go back to your browser tab and click Finish. You will see that your application has been submitted
View Upcoming Career Events
Handshake is where you can find information about upcoming events hosted by the Office of Career Development & Community Engagement.
- Select Events from the main menu to get started. Upcoming events are listed on the landing page.
- Use the Event Search and Fair Search tabs to find other upcoming events and to narrow your search.
- Like jobs and employers, you can also add events to your favorites to keep track of events you’re interested in attending.* Don’t forget to share these events by email or social media to let your friends know you’re going!
- When you’ve decided to attend an event, simply RSVP for the event by selecting the +RSVP for Event or +Join Event buttons.
Note: Not all events require you to RSVP; however, please update your RSVP if you learn you can no longer attend an event you previously registered for or joined.