The M.Ed. in Reading is an innovative, educational program steeped in scientifically-based reading research using the "Lesson Study" approach tying research immediately to practical classroom applications. This entirely online program is designed to enhance the professional skills and knowledge of current educators as well as transitions into specialized areas of reading leadership within the schools and district-level positions; thus, applicants must hold a current teaching certificate. The curriculum for the program is based on the International Reading Association standards which also encompass the FLDOE Reading Endorsement and certification requirements. Upon program completion, candidates are encouraged to add the Reading Endorsement/Certification to their teaching certificate. The program holds FLDOE approval for K-12 Reading Endorsement and Reading Certification.
Note: This program prepares students for potential licensure in Florida. Prospective out-of-state students who will be pursuing a license in their state should check with that state's licensing agency before enrolling. Prospective students from Alabama should review the Special requirements for Certification in Alabama prior to enrolling.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Graduate Admissions section of the UWF graduate catalog, the applicant must meet the minimum departmental admission requirements for regular admission.
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
Step-By-Step Application Procedures
• Hold or be seeking current professional teaching certification
• Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor's degree*
• Submission of current official GRE or MAT scores*
• Submission of a letter of intent
• Submission of contact information for two professional references here
• Demonstrate proficiency in ESOL via completion of an ESOL survey course or district in-service points
• Demonstrate proficiency of the Additional Elements of the Florida Uniform Core Curriculum (UCC)
*Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0 must submit a GRE verbal or MAT score that falls at or above the 50th percentile.
Dr. Jerry Johnson
Chair, Department of
Teacher Education &
Teacher Education &
Graduate Advising Office
Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Certain graduate programs have earlier application deadlines. Check with the graduate department for departmental specific deadlines.